How to Resolve Conflict in a Project Team?
Conflict !! How to resolve Conflict in a Project Team?
Before we find how to resolve a Conflict, Let’s understand “What is conflict?”. Conflict is one of the inevitable event in most of the Projects or in Team. Conflict should be taken as a new opportunity for improvement.
There are many reasons which cause the conflict.
Some of the main reasons of conflict are
- Unrealistic or Aggressive Project Schedule
- Negative Earned value – Spent more what was planned to achieve a milestone
- Team member’s personality – Conflict due to unique behavior, skills and thought of team members
- Not well defined priorities
- Technical debates between team members
- Follow the organization processes or PMO activities when team members are busy in meeting the timelines
- Resources Not available what was planned – Additional work load on available team members
So..As a Project Manager, how to resolve a Conflict?
There are many standard techniques for conflict management. A conflict is a gap between actual and desired situation. Conflict should be resolved by the persons who are in the conflict. Conflict Management is a mental process.
Some of the conflict resolution styles are:
- Confronting – Conflict should be resolve by face-to-face interaction between those who are in conflict. A healthy Face-to-Face interaction brings the root cause of the conflict on the table and how to resolve it.
- Withdrawal – In some situation, when you see that your boss or management or team mate not ready to listen anything then you say – I will do what you say, don’t blame me if it won’t work.
- Compromising – Middle Path Agreement. Agree to both the parties in conflict and come up with a middle agreement which sends sympathy to both the parties leaving dignity intact.
- Smoothing – Cool and calm process of playing down differences that exists between individuals while emphasizing common goal
- Collaborating – This time I will do what you want but next time you will have to agree with me.
- Forcing – If nothing works then show your authority. You are Project Manager – Take and force decision in benefit of the project.
Apply these techniques as appropriate and get the WIN-WIN situation for all!
Wish you the best and Happy Reading!
All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. thearsana.com makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, correctness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis.